● The membership of Russia in the Human Rights Council (HRC) was suspended by the United Nations due to the allegations of Russia’s war crimes in Ukraine.
● The resolution ‘Suspension of the rights of membership of the Russian Federation in the Human Rights Council’ was proposed by Ukraine, the USA, the European Union and several Latin American countries in the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
● For the adoption of the resolution, the assembly requires a two-thirds majority of those present and voting.
● In the voting, 93 countries voted in favor of suspension, 58 abstained (including India), and 24 voted against suspending Russia.
● India abstained from voting for the third time as it stands for ‘peace, dialogue and diplomacy.
● UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) was established in 2006.
● Headquarters of UNHRC: Geneva, Switzerland.
● President of UNHRC: Mr.Federico Villegas.