AWARDS AND SPORTS
● The picture entitled ‘Kamloops Residential School’, has been named for World Press Photo of the Year 2022.
● The picture was taken by photojournalist Amber Bracken in June 2021 for The New York Times.
● The photo shows children’s clothing hung on crosses commemorating the more than two hundred children who died of maltreatment, neglect and disease at the Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Columbia.
● The ‘World Press Photo Story of the Year’ award was won by Matthew Abbott for his series of pictures entitled ‘Saving Forests with Fire’.
● The World Press Photo of the Year award was organized by the Dutch foundation World Press Photo.
● The first photojournalist to win this award was Mogens von Haven in 1955.
● The first Indian photojournalist to win this award was Pablo Bartholomew in 1985 for his picture ‘Bhopal disaster’.