PERSON AND PLACES
● The USA’s Senate confirmed the appointment of 51-year old Ketanji Brown Jackson as the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
● She will be the first Black woman Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in 233 years of history.
● She is the third Black justice and the sixth woman overall to become a justice in the Supreme Court.
● She will replace Judge Stephen Breyer, who will retire by this summer.
● After the appointment, she will join three other women in the Supreme Court judge panel which implies that four of the nine justices will be women for the first time in history.
● In Joe Biden’s administration, Kamala Harris became the Vice-President - the first Black woman to reach that high office.
● The first female judge in Indian Supreme Court: Justice Fathima Beevi.
● In January 2022, Justice Ayesha Malik was appointed as the first female judge of the Pakistan Supreme Court.