● Gujarat's Surat has become first in India to get a road that is made up of steel waste.
● The steel slag road has been built by ArcelorMittal Nippon Steel India with CSIR India (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) and the Central Road Research Institute (CRRI) and government think tank Niti Aayog.
● The road has been built with 100% processed steel slag.
● Slag is a by-product of smelting ores and used metals.
● Processed steel slag aggregate exhibits great potential as a replacement for natural construction material.