Daily Digest is a collection of important news and events that occurred during the mentioned dates. This file is important for all upcoming Government sector job exams, RRB, SSC, Bank exams, etc. This file also has Set of Probable Questions at the end of the document, which can be framed from these important NEWS events.
Covaxin maker Bharat Biotech's Chairman given 'Y' security cover
- Krishna Ella, the chairman of vaccine manufacturer Bharat Biotech, has recently been provided with a "Y" category armed security cover by the Union government,
- Ella, 52, is also the founder of the Hyderabad-based biotechnology company that is manufacturing the Covaxin vaccine approved by India for inoculation against COVID-19.
- The company is also engaged in drug discovery, drug development, manufacturing various other vaccines, bio-therapeutics, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare products.
- The officials said Ella was provided with the security cover of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) armed commandos sometime ago given his current profile of spearheading the production of life-saving vaccines and other medical essentials.
1. In June 2021, who is the chairman of Co-vaxin maker company Bharat Biotech?
A. Krishna Ella
B. Abhishek Verma
C. Rahi Sarnopbat
D. Arvind Jagmohan
2. Covaxin maker Bharat Biotech's Chairman has got which category of security?
A. Z security
B. Z+ Security
C. Y Security
D. Y+ Security
Flipkart opens all-women run fulfilment centre in Coimbatore
- Walmart-owned e-commerce firm Flipkart has launched its grocery services in Coimbatore with the opening of its first fulfilment centre in the region to meet the growing demand for groceries online.
- The opening of this facility also bolsters Flipkart’s supply chain in the South and will create thousands of direct and indirect employment and entrepreneurship opportunities.
- Spread across an area of over 120,000 square feet, the newly built facility will generate direct employment for nearly 1,200 people while encouraging local entrepreneurship.
1.In June 2021, which e-Commerce firm run a women fulfilment centre in Coimbatore?
Odisha to set up “Investment Promotion Agency” in all districts
- The Odisha government has decided to set up district-level industry and investment promotion agencies to create more economic opportunities in the state.
- This decision was taken at a high-level meeting, chaired by Chief Secretary SC Mohapatra
- An investment promotion agency would be dedicated to facilitating and handholding the micro, small and medium enterprises.
- These agencies would operate as a single-point contact for entrepreneurs and investors.
- Agencies would also facilitate MSME entrepreneurs from the “time of project formulation & capacity building” to “financing, starting of production, & market linkages”.
- It would facilitate MSMEs to avail different assistance from the government as per prevailing provisions.
1.In June 2021, Which State has set up an “Investment Promotion Agency” in all districts?
NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant's term extended by 1 year
- The central government has extended for another one year the tenure of Amitabh Kant, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog) till June 2022 -- third extension since he took charge of the public policy think tank in 2016.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, took the decision on Tuesday and issued an order as Kant's current tenure was ending today (Wednesday).
- "The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the extension in tenure of Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog for a further period of one year beyond June 30, 2021, i.e. up to June 30, 2022, or until further orders, whichever is earlier, on the same terms and conditions as approved earlier.." a Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) order mentions.
1. Who is the Chief Executive officer of NITI Aayog?
A. Amitabh Kant
B. Arvind Pangadiya
C. C. K. Matthew
D. Hiren Joshi
NITI Aayog: Study on ‘Not-for-Profit’ hospital model
- According to NITI Aayog, it is a step of closing the information gap on such institutions. This study was conducted in the backdrop of low investment in the expansion of the health sector in the private sector.
- The report provides insight into the operating model of not-for-profit hospitals.
- NITI Aayog highlights the growing disparity between hospitalisation cases in for-profit and not-for-profit hospitals.
- As per the report, not-for-profit hospitals account for 1.1% of treated ailments, as of June 2018.
- for-profit hospitals account for 55.3% of in-patients. On the other hand, not-for-profit hospitals account for 2.7% of in-patients in India.
- The cumulative cost of care at not-for-profit hospitals is lower than for-profit hospitals by one-fourth with respect to in-patient departments.
- This low cost is reckoned by the package component of cost, which is about 20% low.
- Doctor’s or surgeon’s charges are 36% lower while bed charges, which are approximately 44% lesser than for-profit hospitals. Cumulative cost of OPD care across not-for-profit hospitals is about one-third lower than in private for-profit hospitals.
1.Which Institution launched the scheme “Not for profit hospital ” model in India?
A. Aayush Mantralay
B. Health Ministry
C. HRD Ministry
D. NITI Aayog
Tata Motors starts the production of hydrogen buses
- India's move towards alternative automotive fuel technology got a fillip with Tata Motors bagging an order of 15 hydrogen-based fuel cell buses from Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. The deal would entail supplying buses to the Research & Development Centre of IOCL at Faridabad apart from Tata Motors collaborating with the country's largest fuel retailer to undertake R&D projects.
- Tata Motors is the largest commercial vehicle player and a leading bus manufacturer in India. The two partners would collectively study the potential of fuel cell technology for commercial vehicles. This will be done by jointly testing, maintaining and operating these buses for public transport in real-world conditions in the National Capital Region. The buses would be re-fuelled by hydrogen, generated and dispensed by IOCL.
- SSV Ramakumar, Director (R&D), IndianOil, said the company would be setting up one tonne a day of hydrogen production pilot plants based on four innovative pathways besides collaborating with Tata Motors for fuel cell research.
1.In June 2021, Which Motor Company has started the manufacturing of hydrogen buses?
A. TATA Motors
Madhya Pradesh all-rounder Anshula Rao handed 4-year ban, becomes first woman cricketer to fail dope test
- Anshula Rao created history for all the wrong reasons, as she became the first women cricketer to be handed a four-year ban by the panel of the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) for failing a dope test on June 28. Rao is an allrounder who plays for Madhya Pradesh in the domestic circuit. She was last seen playing cricket in the under-23 T20 tournament hosted by BCCI.
- This is not the first time for Rao, who was also found guilty of consuming a banned anabolic steroid ’19- Norandrosterone. She was found guilty of using the drug on March 14 at Baroda in the year 2020. The allrounder failed to give a proper explanation as to how the drug substance entered her body.
1.In June 2021 which female cricketer got banned for 4 years?
A. Anshula Rao
B. P. Shivangi
C. Veda Krishnamurty
D. Harmanpreet Kaur
Srihari Nataraj qualifies for Tokyo Olympics after FINA approves QT
- Indian swimmer Srihari Nataraj officially booked himself a Tokyo Olympics berth on Wednesday after FINA, sports world governing body, approved his "A" standard qualification time in men's 100m backstroke time trial at the Sette Colli Trophy in Rome.
- His feat on Sunday was also a new national record and was enough to achieve the "A" mark for the Olympics set at 53.85 seconds.
- He was allowed to improve his timing in the time trial
- Sajan became the first Indian swimmer to breach Olympic 'A' standard
- This will be Srihari's maiden Olympics participation
- In time trials, swimmers get a chance to better their timing, without competing against each other.
- Srihari was allowed a time trial by the organizers on the last day of the Olympic qualification. The time needed to be approved by FINA.
- Tokyo Olympics will mark the first time when two Indian swimmers will take part in the Summer Games after achieving a direct qualification.
1.In June 2021, Who has Qualified for Tokyo Olympic in Swimming?
(A) Shamsher Khan (B) Bhakti Sharma
(C) Sandeep Sejwal (D) Sri hari Natraj
Justice Department launches “Enforcing Contracts Portal
- The Department of Justice has launched Enforcing Contracts Portal. The portal aims to promote ease of doing business and improve the ‘Contract Enforcement Regime’ in the country. The portal will provide easy access to the latest information on commercial cases in Dedicated Commercial Courts of Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Kolkata. The portal will also provide access to a repository of commercial laws.
- The portal is envisioned to be a comprehensive source of information pertaining to the legislative and policy reforms being undertaken on the Enforcing Contracts parameters. The Department of Justice under the Ministry of Law and Justice has been monitoring legislative and policy reforms to strengthen the Enforcing Contracts regime for Ease of Doing Business in India.
- The Enforcing Contract is an essential area that measures time and cost to resolve a standardized commercial dispute as well as a series of good practices in the judiciary.
1.In June 2021, Which department launched the “Enforcing Contracts Portal”?
(A) Justice Department (B) Revenue department
(C) Police Department (D) Road & Transportation Ministry
Bengaluru civic body to organise ‘Khata Mela’ to meet its revenue collection target
- The chief commissioner said that ‘Khata Mela’ should be organised, in all eight zones of the BBMP, to bring assets under property tax jurisdiction and measures should be taken to collect tax.
- To meet its revenue collection target, Bengaluru’s civic body Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) has decided to organise a ‘Khata Mela’ in all eight zones.
- Chief Commissioner of BBMP Gaurav Gupta held a meeting with revenue officials and directed them to organise Khata Mela. BBMP has so far collected Rs 1,563.78 crore as property tax for the financial year 2021-22.
- “With fewer cases of Covid in the city at present, revenue officers should pay more attention to property tax collection. The role of revenue officers in collecting the property tax is important,” Gupta said and instructed the officials to work harder and collect more taxes. The newly constructed buildings should be bought under tax jurisdiction and the property tax should be collected.
1.Which City is to organise ‘Khata Mela’ to meet its revenue collection target?
(A) Jaipur (B) Hyderabad
(C) Banglore (D) Indore
Telangana government to provide Rs 10 lakh financial assistance to Dalit families under the Chief Minister Dalit Empowerment Programme
- In a first-of-its-kind initiative, the Telangana government has announced that it will provide financial assistance of Rs 10 lakh to the eligible Dalit beneficiaries under the Chief Minister Dalit Empowerment Programme.
- With a budget of Rs 1,200 crore for the first phase, the scheme will cover 100 families each from all the 119 Assembly constituencies in the state.
- The all-party meeting chaired by Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao was held on Sunday at Pragati Bhavan to finalise guidelines for the 'Chief Minister Dalit Empowerment Programme' with Dalit representatives for a marathon of 11 hours.
- "CM Dalit Empowerment Programme would further change the lives of Dalits for the better," said the TRS government.
Russia begins construction of 5th Nuclear Power Unit at Kudankulam
- This development is a significant step in bilateral relations between India and Russia.
- Rosatom (a Russian company) is providing technology to construct the Kudankulam plant.
- This plant has six units each having a 1,000 MWe generation capacity. It is going to be India’s first light water reactor.
- India and Russia started to talk about constructing two units of nuclear plants at the same site under the General Framework Agreement (GFA). GFA was signed in June 2017 for units five and six. Unit one and two of the kudankulam plant are already operational.
- This nuclear power plant is the largest nuclear power in India. It is located in Kudankulam town in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu. Construction of the plant started on March 31, 2002. However, it faced several delays because of opposition from local fishermen.
1.Which country is constructing nuclear power unit at Kudankulam?
(A) Russia (B) Israel
(C) Indonesia (D) Japan